General Assignment Classroom Policy
The scheduling of academic courses into general assignment classrooms has priority over all other possible classroom uses and are assigned, ranked in order of priority, based on the following criteria:
- Undergraduate core classes are the next group of courses to have classrooms assigned to them. Core classes are of two types:
- Bottleneck courses (which will be assigned first).
- High-demand courses that satisfy general education requirements (assigned second).
These courses will be identified by the College of Undergraduate Education each quarter.
- The third tier of assignments will be course that adhere to the following policy: Undergraduate courses meeting in general-assignment classrooms cannot last more than 50 minutes within 9:30am–1:30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. Further, a unit’s undergraduate classes that occur between 9:30am–1:30pm, Monday through Thursday in general-assignment classrooms, cannot exceed 80% of the unit’s total undergraduate offering in general-assignment classrooms.
- Courses not meeting any of the criteria above are assigned in a batch process using the initial room scheduling process criteria.