Office of the University Registrar

Hardship Withdrawal Petition for Courses

Students may petition the Registrar for a hardship withdrawal (HW) if the following apply:

  • You are unable to complete the course in question because of a physical and/or mental debilitation, or unusual/extenuating circumstance beyond your control;
  • The debilitation or extenuating circumstance arose and/or was diagnosed after the 14th calendar day of the quarter;
  • The debilitation or extenuating circumstance prevented you from dropping the course by the published course drop deadline for the quarter (see the Academic Calendar).
  • If you are applying for a hardship withdrawal from some but not all of your courses, then you must have documentation for why that particular course(s) was impacted, eg: you could not complete DANCE 105 because you broke your foot.

Hardship Withdrawals will not be granted for course work that has already been applied to a completed degree. Petitions must be filed within two years of the quarter being petitioned. Petitions outside the two year time line will not be reviewed without documentation of physical inability to file within guidelines. Grades cannot be changed after a degree has been granted. Grades cannot be restored once a Hardship Withdrawal has been granted.
Effective Autumn 2016, the timeline to file an HW petition will be changed to within one year of the quarter being petitioned.

Hardship Withdrawal Submission
This website and submission forms are for Seattle-campus students who are not registered via Professional and Continuing Education (PCE). If you are a student at UW Bothell, UW Tacoma, or are taking a course through PCE, please visit the appropriate website for relevant information and forms.

Note: a hardship withdrawal petition is not a petition for a tuition refund; by default all tuition forfeiture policies will apply to your withdrawal. Students wishing to submit a Tuition Forfeiture Petitions must contact Student Fiscal Services.

The Hardship Withdrawal committee will work in consultation with the appropriate offices to obtain background information on the student’s history at the University to help better guide and shape the Committee’s decision-making process. These offices will include, but are not limited to, the registrar offices of the professional schools, the Graduate School, International Student Services, Disability Resource Services. While the Office of the Registrar has been given the authority to make the final decision, it will work with these other offices so as not to violate their policies insofar as those policies do not contradict the power vested in the Office of the Registrar and the rights granted to students by the University’s Scholastic Regulations.

Questions regarding a denied petition?

For questions regarding a denied petition, please read the Hardship Withdrawal Petition FAQ or email