Office of the University Registrar

Registration & Transcript Holds

A hold will stop you from either registering or getting a copy of your transcript or both. A Registration or Transcript hold is placed on your student record if you have an outstanding financial obligation to the University or have not met a particular enrollment requirement. You will receive written notification from the department placing a hold on your student record. (Please be sure your address is current.)

Removing a hold

A hold is not removed until you resolve the problem which caused the issuing department to place the hold on your record. A department may place a financial hold if you owe money and have not paid. For instance, a department may check out a room key to you. If you fail to return the key, the department will put a financial hold on your record. The hold will remain until you return the key or pay to have it replaced. A department may also place an academic hold on your student record. For instance, once a student has completed 105 credits at the University, the Office of the Registrar will place a Registration hold until you have either declared a major area of study or you have requested a pre-major extension.

Some departments place holds directly on the Student Data Base. Other departments request the Office of the University Registrar to place their holds for them. In this latter circumstance, the department will need to contact the Office of the University Registrar to release your hold. Be sure to check when you clear your hold on how long it will take the department to have the hold removed.

A Registration and Transcript hold is automatically placed on your student record if you are canceled for non-payment. This hold will stop you from registering or adding additional courses for the next or future quarters, getting either an unofficial or official transcript, or reapplying as a returning student. The hold is automatically removed once your balance is paid in full.