Office of the University Registrar

Returning Student Re-enrollment

Submission Deadlines

Quarter Submission Opens Deadline Date
Autumn February 1 July 1
Winter July 1 November 1
Spring November 1 February 1
Summer February 1 June 1

If the re-enrollment submission deadline has passed for the quarter in which you are looking to return and you still wish to be considered for re-enrollment, please send an email to, requesting a link to the submission site after the deadline.

Returning Student Re-enrollment Process

The information on this page is regarding the Returning Student Re-enrollment Process for matriculated students at the Seattle campus only.

If you were previously enrolled at the UW Bothell campus and looking to return to UW Bothell, please visit the following website: Returning Students – Bothell

If you were previously enrolled at the UW Tacoma campus and looking to return to UW Tacoma, please visit the following website: Returning Students – Tacoma

Undergraduate and Professional  Students

If you wish to return to the University of Washington after an absence of more than one quarter (excluding Summer quarter) and you have not obtained a degree in your last enrolled category either from the University of Washington or from another institution, you may begin the re-enrollment process by completing the Returning Student Form online. Please note there is an $80 non-refundable fee associated with the form.

Note that withdrawing from one quarter and not attending the subsequent quarter constitutes an absence of two consecutive quarters, which triggers the need to submit the Returning Student Form.

Readmission is granted at the discretion of the University. Factors which may be considered when determining eligibility for readmission include, but are not limited to, registration or transcript holds, previous academic achievement, length of absence, space availability in the major in which you were previously enrolled, activities during the period in which you were not enrolled, and prior disciplinary action. After we review your re-enrollment request, you will be emailed if more action is needed by you before we can make a re-admission decision.

Returning students who have been away from the University fewer than two years have the highest priority for readmission. A student previously enrolled in an academic program with restricted enrollment and/or special admission requirements should consult his or her adviser about procedures for readmission into the same program. If you are not readmitted into your special program, you can be readmitted as a pre-major in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Be advised that students returning to the University may not necessarily be readmitted under their previous residency classification. It is highly suggested that you check your tuition statement to ensure the tuition rate and fees are charged correctly. Students should be prepared to complete any necessary application and documents required to correct their classification with the Residency Office.

Enrollment Confirmation instructions are sent to you via email shortly after your re-enrollment request is reviewed and processed. This email will contain a link for you to confirm your offer of readmission via the Enrollment Confirmation system. You must confirm this offer of readmission in order to be eligible to register.

Matriculated students readmitted to the University via the Returning Student process do not register until Registration Period II. See Academic Calendar for dates.

Graduate Student Returning from On-leave

Graduate students who are returning from official on-leave status are not required to fill out a Returning Student application.

See Graduate On-Leave Status for on-leave eligibility, the procedure for requesting leave, and information about reinstatement.

Returning from Military Leave

You may apply to return using the Online Returning Student Re-enrollment Form. Students who are returning the quarter directly following their United States military service may request a waiver of the returning student fee by clicking on the fee waiver option in the online form and emailing a copy of their military orders to The fee waiver does not apply to those students who voluntarily enlist.

Returning after Graduation

If you have graduated either from the University of Washington or from another institution, you may return to the University in a new admission status or as a summer-only non-matriculated student. You must complete the appropriate application for your new status through the appropriate admission office.

If you want to complete another undergraduate degree, you will need to apply as a postbaccalaureate student through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If you want to pursue a professional degree in Law, Dentistry, or Medicine, you will need to apply directly through the respective schools. If you want to pursue a graduate degree or admission as a Graduate Non-Matriculated student, you will need to apply through the appropriate academic department. You will need to pay the appropriate application fee for each application.

Additional Information

Students applying to enter the University for the first time or in a new category may not apply as returning students. Instead, they should consult information about the appropriate category: undergraduate, which includes postbaccalaureates; graduate; or professional.

If you need additional information about returning to the University of Washington as a returning student, please email the

You may also call the Registration and Transcripts Office and a staff member will assist you. See the Registration and Transcripts Office information for current hours and contact information.

Please be aware that the UW G Suite and/or UW Office 365  email & productivity platform account(s) and data that you create with your UW email address are temporary and will expire when you graduate and/or separate from the UW.  However, you do have the ability to forward your UW email address to a personal, non-UW email address as a student and upon separation from the UW.