Office of the University Registrar

November 3, 2020

Hiring Documentation and Taxes

If your CPT position is paid, use your new I-20 with CPT approval, together with your passport and I-94 record, as proof of your eligibility to work.

Social Security Number (SSN)

  • You will need a Social Security Number in order to receive payment from your employer.
  • Apply for an SSN after approval for CPT and no sooner than 30 days before the approved CPT start date.

I-9 Form

  • Since the I-9 form is not an immigration form but rather an HR/Payroll form, you must consult your employer or hiring supervisor about the I-9 and other hiring documentation questions.


Unless you qualify under a tax treaty between the U.S. and your home government, earnings as an F-1 student will be subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes, and employers are required to withhold those taxes from paychecks.

For tax assistance, we provide the following resources:

We in ISS are not qualified to answer individual tax questions. Taxes are complex and outside our area of individual expertise.


ISS offers monthly CPT information sessions to help you prepare for CPT.

If you have specific questions regarding the CPT process, you can submit a ‘Have a Question‘ form on the ISS website.