Office of the University Registrar

November 4, 2020

J-1 Student Employment

J-1 status allows some types of employment. Carefully learn your employment benefits and restrictions, as immigration officials take unauthorized employment very seriously. Unauthorized employment is considered a violation of status.

Campus employment:

  • You must notify your ISS adviser in advance of all employment so that the information can be updated in SEVIS and the employment can be authorized.
  • You are allowed to work on the UW Seattle campus part-time (20 hours per week or less) during the quarter.
  • You may work on campus full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during the quarter breaks and during your annual vacation quarter.
  • If you have a graduate assistantship such as a Research Assistantship (RA) or Teaching Assistantship (TA) position, you must not accept additional campus employment without consulting an ISS adviser first.

Never work off campus without prior authorization from ISS. There are opportunities to obtain off-campus work authorization.

For more information about J-1 employment opportunities, visit the ISS website’s J-1 Employment Options section.