Office of the University Registrar

November 3, 2020

Social Security Number (SSN)

If you accept a part-time UW campus job, you must apply for a Social Security number (SSN) in order to be paid. To apply for an SSN, wait at least 10 business days after your arrival in the U.S. Be sure that you are registered full-time and contact your primary ISS adviser to be sure your SEVIS record is activated and updated with your employment information.

Next, apply for a Social Security number in person at a local Social Security Administration office. Bring with you:

  • Your DS-2019
  • Valid passport and J-1 visa
  • I-94 record
  • An employment offer letter from your department/hiring office