Office of the University Registrar

November 3, 2020

Third Parties

Departments may not release non-directory or personally identifiable information about a student to a third party, without the student’s written authorization. Faculty and staff may have the student fill out a consent-to-release form if the student wants a university representative to speak with a third party. If the student has provided consent, school officials may release personally identifiable information to third parties performing work on behalf of the university. However, the data still belongs to the student and is in custody of the university.

The student needs to email from their UW email address to provide written permission to release information to a third party. The student’s email must indicate specifically what information or documents may be released to whom, listing the exact people to whom the release is permissible. Once this has been received by the Office of the University Registrar, the individual department will be contacted to release the requested information.

[vc_row 0=””][vc_column][vc_message]Scenario: Stanford University emails your office because a prospective student is applying to their university. The student has stated that they studied abroad and now Stanford wants confirmation that the student did study abroad. Can you verify the student’s enrollment?

Answer: If an academic institution wants to verify enrollment or other academic information for a legitimate education need, that information can be released without the student’s permission.[/vc_message][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row 0=””][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”917″ img_size=”400×250″][vc_column_text 0=””]