Office of the University Registrar

English Language Proficiency Requirement

The ELPR Office now offers scheduled appointments. We are also open for drop-in visits on Wednesdays between 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

All new freshmen and transfer students must satisfy an English language proficiency requirement (ELPR) upon enrolling at the University of Washington Seattle campus.

Students who enter the UW with one of the following qualifying tests or programs will have satisfied the requirement:

  1. A minimum score on one of several qualifying standardized tests
  2. Completion of a qualifying associate degree from a Washington community college
  3. Successful completion of the UW Intensive English Program

Qualifying Standardized Test Scores

Minimum Score Test
490 SAT: Critical Reading (SAT CR) score or Writing (SAT W) score
(test dates prior to March 2016)
550 SAT: Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (SATRW) score
(test dates beginning March 2016)
28 SAT: Writing & Language (SATWL) score
(test dates beginning March 2016)
27 SAT Reading (SATR) score
(test dates beginning March 2016)
21 ACT: Combined English/Writing (ACT E/W) score
21 ACT: English (ACT E) score
7.0 IELTS (overall score of all sections)
92 TOEFL iBT (Internet version)
(total of reading, writing, listening and speaking)
237 TOEFL CBT (computer version)
580 TOEFL PBT (paper version)

Qualifying Washington Associate Degrees

An approved academic associate degree from a Washington community college is defined as the sending institution’s direct transfer agreement associate degree (DTA). Qualifying degrees (often titled as an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Arts and Sciences) are those that are recorded on an official community college transcript with a designation of “DTA.” The associate of science transfer degree is also a qualifying degree. The degree must be conferred prior to enrolling at the UW.

English Language Proficiency Requirement (ELPR)

Students who do not enter the UW with qualifying standardized test scores or program completion as described above, and who are not native English language speakers will be required to complete one or more required courses through the Academic English Program (AEP). Students with AEP course requirements must continue to register for these courses each succeeding quarter until the prescribed sequence of courses is completed. Get more information at the AEP website.

Continuation Policy

For those students who enter the Academic English Program (AEP) it is imperative that the courses they test into be completed satisfactorily early in the student’s academic career. An undergraduate student may repeat an English 102, 103 or 104 course once. If the student fails the course a second time, a hold will be placed on the student’s registration and the student will do one of the following:

  1. Take an approved standardized test or AEP Placement Test that places them into the next level of AEP or satisfies the requirement completely;
  2. Successfully complete the Intensive English Program (IEP);
  3. Stop out for a quarter and take an approved standardized test or AEP Placement Test after a time away that places them into the next level of AEP or satisfies the requirement completely.