Office of the University Registrar

Returning Student Process

Submission Deadlines

Quarter Form Opens Priority Deadline Late Consideration
Autumn Feb 1 Jul 1 Jul 2 – One week before the quarter starts
Winter Jul 1 Nov 1 Nov 2 – One week before the quarter starts
Spring Nov 1 Feb 1 Feb 2 – One week before the quarter starts
Summer Feb 1 Jun 1 Jun 2 – One week before the quarter starts

Late consideration for those who missed the priority deadline

If you missed the priority deadline you can email and request to be considered for returning student status up until one week before the first day of the quarter for which you are trying to return. Late consideration requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If your situation allows for enough time to enter the quarter successfully, we will email you more instructions.

If you are requesting late consideration you should:

  • Know that your individual circumstances will impact our ability to approve your returning student request after the priority deadline. If you have academic or financial holds and/or are making your request near the start of the quarter it will complicate your ability to be a returning student for the coming quarter.
  • Be attentive to your email address as this is where you will receive additional instructions.
  • Be ready to act fast. If your request for late consideration is approved, you must accept your offer to enroll as a returning student by 11:59 PM on the evening before the first day of the quarter. You will not be able to attend for the quarter if you have not completed these steps by the stated deadline.
  • Know that your request for late consideration will take time to review. The earlier you make your request the better.
  • Meet with your academic adviser to identify a course plan and to resolve any registration holds while making a request for late returning student consideration. If you were part of a major that had a strict sequence of courses or was cohort-based, your adviser will play a critical role in your ability to re-enter your program of study.
  • Contact any important offices you may have worked with in the past and will need support from to be successful when you return – these could include but are not limited to Disability Resources for Students, International Student Services, and Student Financial Aid.

Returning Student Process

The information presented on this page applies to the Returning Student Process for matriculated students at the University of Washington in Seattle only.

University of Washington Bothell: Students who were previously enrolled at the University of Washington Bothell and are looking to resume their studies at UW Bothell, please visit Returning Students – Bothell

University of Washington Tacoma: Students who were previously enrolled at the University of Washington Tacoma and are looking to resume their studies at UW Tacoma, please visit Returning Students – Tacoma

Undergraduate and Professional Students

Students who may request to return to the University of Washington:

  • Those with an absence of more than one quarter (excluding Summer quarter)
  • Those who have not obtained a degree in their last enrolled category either from the University of Washington or from another institution

Note: Withdrawing from one quarter and not attending the subsequent quarter constitutes an absence of two consecutive quarters, which triggers the need to submit the Returning Student Form.

Submitting a Returning Student Request

Please review the Checklist to Re-Enroll for an overall understanding of all the steps and offices which are involved in the returning student process.

  1. Complete and submit the online Returning Student Form
  2. Pay the $80 non-refundable fee
    • Students may choose to request a waiver of the returning student fee when completing the Returning Student Form online prior to submitting the form.

Returning Student Criteria

The ability to return as a student to the University of Washington is granted at the discretion of the University. Eligibility factors which may be considered include, but are not limited to:

  • registration or transcript holds
  • previous academic achievement
  • length of absence
  • space availability in the major in which you were previously enrolled
  • activities during the period in which you were not enrolled
  • prior disciplinary action

After Submitting Your Request

  • After returning student requests are reviewed, students will be emailed if additional action is needed before a decision can be made.
  • Enrollment Confirmation instructions are sent to students via email shortly after a returning student request is reviewed and processed.
  • The confirmation email will contain a link for the student to confirm their offer of returning student enrollment via the Enrollment Confirmation system.
    Students must confirm through the Enrollment Confirmation System in order to be eligible to register.

Matriculated Returning students do not register until Registration Period II. See Academic Calendar for dates.

Additional Considerations

  • Returning students who have been away from the University of Washington fewer than two years have the highest priority for readmission.
  • A student previously enrolled in an academic program with restricted enrollment and/or special admission requirements should consult their adviser about procedures for readmission into the same program.
  • Students not readmitted into their special program can be readmitted as a pre-major in the College of Arts and Sciences.


Be advised that students returning to the University of Washington may not necessarily be readmitted under their previous residency classification. It is highly suggested that you check your tuition statement to ensure the tuition rate and fees are charged correctly. Students should be prepared to complete any necessary application and documents required to correct their classification with the Residency Office.

Graduate Student Returning from On-leave

Graduate students who are returning from official on-leave status are not required to fill out a Returning Student application.

See Graduate On-Leave Status for on-leave eligibility, the procedure for requesting leave, and information about reinstatement.

Returning from Military Leave

You may apply to return using the Online Returning Student Form. Students who are returning the quarter directly following their United States military service may request a waiver of the returning student fee by clicking on the fee waiver option in the online form and emailing a copy of their military orders to The fee waiver does not apply to those students who voluntarily enlist.

Returning after Graduation

Students who have graduated either from the University of Washington or from another institution may return to the University in a new admission status or as a summer-only non-matriculated student. The appropriate application for the corresponding new status must be completed and submitted to the appropriate admission office.

Students wanting to complete another undergraduate degree will need to apply as a postbaccalaureate student through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students wanting to pursue a professional degree in Law, Dentistry, or Medicine will need to apply directly through the respective schools. Students who want to pursue a graduate degree or admission as a Graduate Non-Matriculated student will need to apply through the appropriate academic department. Application fees must be paid for each application.

Additional Information

Students applying to enter the University of Washington for the first time or in a new category may not apply as returning students. Instead, they should consult information about the appropriate category: undergraduate, which includes postbaccalaureates; graduate; or professional.

If you need additional information about returning to the University of Washington as a returning student, please email the

Please be aware that the UW G Suite and/or UW Office 365 email & productivity platform account(s) and data that you create with your UW email address are temporary and will expire when you graduate and/or separate from the UW. However, you do have the ability to forward your UW email address to a personal, non-UW email address as a student and upon separation from the UW.