Office of the University Registrar

Cross-Campus Registration

Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, and post-baccalaureate students enrolled at one UW campus may register for courses at another UW campus beginning in Period 2 registration.


Freshmen: Once admitted, freshmen must complete 25 credit hours on their home campus before registering in courses on other UW campuses. (UW Professional & Continuing Education courses are not considered home campus courses.)

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors: All students with a class standing from sophomore to post-baccalaureate, must complete 15 credits on their home campus before cross-registering.

Non-matriculated (class 6): students may not register cross campus except for summer quarter. This includes non-matriculated students taking courses under the staff or Washington State Tuition Waiver. (More information below.)

A maximum of 15 credits per academic year (autumn quarter through summer quarter) may be taken on a campus other than the home campus.

A maximum of 45 credits taken through cross-campus registration may be counted toward the degree.


All registration restrictions (e.g., class standing and entry codes) still apply. However, prerequisites taken at home campus may not be recognized by MyUW. In that case, contact the department offering the course.


Individual petitions for waivers of the credit requirements may be considered by the home-campus registrar of the degree granting unit. However, the approval of such a waiver does not obligate the campus unit listing the desired course(s) to grant special consideration for course admission.

Summer Quarter

All students (including non-matriculating or class 6 students) may cross-register during the summer quarter and they may register Period I. Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, and post-baccalaureates must complete the required number of home-campus credits first.

Graduate Students and Graduate Non-Matriculated Students (GNM)

There are no restrictions on graduate students registering in courses cross-campus.

Policy reference for information on this page may be found in the UW Policy Directory in the following sections: Student Governance and Policies