Office of the University Registrar

Residency for Tuition Purposes

Residency Office Updates
On June 9, 2022 S.B. 5874 modified the residency requirements for students using the Affidavit of Residency. Students applying for residency may complete the new form and meet the updated requirements in order to be eligible for residency for tuition purposes under the Affidavit of Residency.

What is Washington Residency for Tuition Purposes?

As a state public university, the University of Washington has different tuition rates for state residents and non-residents. State law sets the rules governing who qualifies as a resident for tuition-paying purposes. Students must meet these requirements to be verified as residents for tuition purposes.

How and when is a student’s residency status determined?

A student’s initial residence classification is set during the admissions process based on information provided on the student’s admission application. If a student is classified as a non-resident when they are admitted and believes that they qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, they must file a residency application with the Residence Classification Office to request verification.

There are three ways a student may qualify to apply for residency for tuition purposes. Select the application type for additional information about requirements and how to apply. Each form has its own requirements. Students should file the application that best fits their circumstances.

  1. Residency Affidavit – for students who have a high school diploma (or equivalent) and have maintained a primary residence, for purposes other than postsecondary education, in Washington for at least one year prior to starting at the University of Washington.
  2. Residence Questionnaire: Financially Dependent Students – for financially dependent students with a parent who has met Washington residency requirements.
  3. Residence Questionnaire: Financially Independent Students – for financially independent students who have met Washington residency requirements.

Top 5 Residency Questions

  1. How do I get residency in Washington if I don’t meet the affidavit requirements?
  2. Where is the residence questionnaire application?
  3. I am a Washington resident but went to school out of state. What do I do?
  4. When is the deadline to submit the application?
  5. How do I contact the Residency Office?

Residency Policies

Residency policies are set by the Washington legislature and applied uniformly throughout Washington’s colleges and universities. For more details regarding residence classification, please review the various pages of our website, and also reference the following links to read the relevant Revised Code of Washington and the Washington Administrative Code.