Office of the University Registrar

Graduation, Commencement, and Diplomas

Beginning Spring 2017, diplomas will not be reprinted without charge if not received at the diploma mailing address provided or returned to our office by the postal service.

Application for Graduation

Undergraduate students must complete an application for graduation with their departmental adviser. The deadline for submitting the application is the third Friday of the quarter in which the student intends to graduate. (Students graduating in Summer Quarter who plan to attend the Commencement ceremony must meet the Spring Quarter application deadline.) Please refer to the Academic Calendar for graduation application deadlines.

Degrees are not automatically awarded when requirements have been satisfied. It is the student’s responsibility to apply for degrees and certificates. Graduation application forms are available in the major departments.

To be eligible for Graduating Senior Priority registration, students should contact a departmental adviser for information about the deadline.

Questions about application for undergraduate degrees can be directed to the Office of Graduation and Academic Records, 264 Schmitz Hall, Phone: (206) 543-1803, Fax: (206) 685-3660, E-mail:

Students receiving a Master’s degree or a PhD degree
need to contact the Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS) at or 685.2630 for graduation

It is important to keep your address current. We will send you announcements regarding graduation, commencement, and diplomas. We may also need to contact you if we have questions about your remaining degree requirements.

The Commencement Ceremony

Questions about the the Commencement Ceremony can be directed to the Office of Commencement Exercises, 6200 NE 74th St NE, Suite 010B, Seattle, WA, 98115, (206) 543-2592,, or visit their web site at

Information includes the event schedule, ticket information, parking, and apparel.


Diplomas are mailed to the student’s address selected on MyUW (local or permanent) two to three months following graduation. The diploma will list your name, degree, and any applicable honors. Majors are not listed on UW diplomas.

Beginning Spring 2017, diplomas will not be reprinted without charge if not received at the diploma mailing address provided or returned to our office by the postal service. If the diploma is returned to our office we will contact the graduate, otherwise the graduate will need to submit a Diploma Replacement Form and check to our office in order for the diploma to be reprinted.

Diploma Name

Diplomas are issued with your name as it appears on MyUW and your transcript. It must include the student’s legal first and last name. To indicate hyphens, spaces, lower/upper case letters, accents, or other special characters on your diploma, complete the Diploma Name Request Form [UoW1993]. Submit it to the Graduation and Academic Records Office, 264 Schmitz Hall, by the last day of the quarter you plan to graduate.

To change your name on your University records, file a Change of Name form with the appropriate legal documentation which may include: marriage license/certificate, court order, divorce decree, passport or permanent visa. Forms are available at a registration window, 225 Schmitz Hall. See Name Change Policy for additional information.

To order additional or replacement diplomas,download the Diploma Replacement Form or contact the Office of Graduations and Academic Records at (206) 543-1803. The diploma replacement fee is $20.00.

Degree Verification

Degrees awarded beginning in 1983 are available on the UW Degree Validation web site. Some degree information prior to 1983 is available but prospective employers should call the Registration Office (206) 543-8580 to verify degrees prior to 1983 or if there are questions. The names of students who have restricted the Release of Directory Information cannot be verified through this system.