Office of the University Registrar

Questionnaire: Financially Dependent Students

Students who are financially dependent upon parents, legal guardians, or others (excepting spouses) must provide documentation to prove their parents/court-appointed legal guardians have established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington. Documentation of financial dependence is also required. To be considered, students and parents/legal guardians must have a qualifying citizenship/immigration status to apply.

Please review Residency Requirements (items #1 and #2).

The student and parent(s)/legal guardian(s) will need to complete the Residence Questionnaire. The student’s information will be completed on page one. The parent’s/legal guardian’s information will be completed on page two (Section 3). Both student and parent(s)/legal guardian(s) must sign and date the Statement of Intent (page two). The student should not sign the Student Sworn Statement (page one).

  • In cases of legal guardianship, documentation is required to verify the guardianship is court-appointed.
  • Dependents of parents/legal guardians who are either divorced or legally separated may be classified as residents as long as the dependent student demonstrates financial dependence (claimed as a dependent exemption on income taxes for the most recent tax year or shows actual financial dependence) and at least one parent/legal guardian has established bona fide domicile in Washington State. This process requires documentation of (1) bona fide legal domicile from the Washington resident parent/legal guardian and (2) taxes from the person who claimed the student or documentation of the significant financial support received by the student in the current and/or previous calendar year.
  • The documentation of bona fide legal domicile will be of the parent/legal guardian signing the residency application (not a combination of documents between two parents/legal guardians).

Note: Married students are to complete their residency application as a financially independent applicant unless they are significantly financially dependent on someone other than their spouse.

Residence Questionnaire – Financially Dependent

DISCLAIMER: The information on this webpage is current as of 06/28/2018. The University of Washington reserves the right to update or remove this page as necessary for clarity and/or to reflect changes to residency law or university policies. This website is intended as guidance only and students are advised to refer to the Washington state laws on residency for current statutes and additional information. Review RCW Chapter 28B.15WAC Chapter 250-18, and WAC Chapter 478-161.

The UW Residency Classification Office will administer residency determinations in accordance with the current law at the time of application.