Office of the University Registrar

Graduation, Commencement, and Diplomas

Application for Graduation

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students must complete an application for graduation with their departmental adviser. The deadline for submitting the application is the third Friday of the quarter in which the student intends to graduate. (Students graduating in Summer Quarter who plan to attend the Commencement ceremony must meet the Spring Quarter application deadline.) Please refer to the Academic Calendar for graduation application deadlines.

Degrees are not automatically awarded when requirements have been satisfied. It is the student’s responsibility to apply for degrees and certificates. Graduation application forms are available in the major departments.

To be eligible for Graduating Senior Priority registration, students should contact a departmental adviser for information about the deadline.

Questions about application for undergraduate degrees can be directed to the Office of Graduation and Academic Records, 264 Schmitz Hall, Phone: 206-543-1803, Fax: 206-685-3660, E-mail:

Master’s and Doctorate Students

Students receiving a Master’s degree or a PhD degree need to contact the Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS) at or 685.2630 for graduation deadlines.

Mailing Address

It is important to keep your address current. We will send you announcements regarding graduation, commencement, and diplomas. We may also need to contact you if we have questions about your remaining degree requirements.

The Commencement Ceremony

Questions about the the Commencement Ceremony can be directed to the Office of Commencement Exercises, 6200 NE 74th St NE, Suite 010B, Seattle, WA, 98115, 206-543-2592,, or visit their web site at

Information includes the event schedule, ticket information, parking, and apparel.


Diplomas are mailed to the student’s address selected on MyUW (local or permanent) two to three months following graduation. The diploma will list your name, degree, and any applicable honors. Majors are not listed on UW diplomas.

Diplomas will not be reprinted without charge if not received at the diploma mailing address provided or returned to our office by the postal service. If the diploma is returned to our office we will contact the graduate, otherwise the graduate will need to submit a Diploma Replacement Form [UoW 2046] and check to our office in order for the diploma to be reprinted.

Diploma Name

Diplomas are issued with your name as it appears on MyUW and your transcript. It must include the student’s legal first and last name. To indicate hyphens, spaces, lower/upper case letters, accents, or other special characters on your diploma, complete the Diploma Name Request Form [UoW1993]. Submit it to the Graduation and Academic Records Office, 264 Schmitz Hall, by the last day of the quarter you plan to graduate.

To change your name on your University records, file a Change of Name form with the appropriate legal documentation which may include: marriage license/certificate, court order, divorce decree, passport or permanent visa. Forms are available at Office of the University Registrar, 2nd Floor Schmitz Hall. See Name Change Policy for additional information.

To order additional or replacement diplomas,download the Diploma Replacement Form [UoW 2046] or contact the Office of Graduations and Academic Records at 206-543-1803. The diploma replacement fee is $20.00.

Degree Certification

The Office of the University Registrar generates Degree Certifications through the National Student Clearinghouse.

UW Graduates:

If you are a graduate of the University of Washington, you will not be able to receive a Degree Certificate through the National Student Clearinghouse.

Options for Degree Certification include:

  • An Official Transcript can also be requested for degree verification purposes.
  • Email the UW Office of the University Registrar Registration and Transcripts office at to receive one. Please be sure to include your name, student ID #, date of birth and a mailing or email address where you wish the Degree Certification be sent.

UW Faculty and Staff: (Degree Certification)

  • Student providing you with a copy of their unofficial or official transcript
  • Student Database (SDB)
  • Electronic Advising Record System (EARS)
  • Email from your email stating that you are a faculty of staff member needing an Degree Certification. Be sure to include the student’s full name and student number with your request.

Non-UW Third Parties: (Degree Certification)

If you need proof of a Degree Certification from an UW student, they may provide you with a copy of their official transcript.

The University of Washington does not verify degrees or enrollment for third parties via email or fax or mail. You may purchase one from the National Student Clearinghouse.