Office of the University Registrar

Name Change Process

  1. For a student to change their name, legal documentation, or proof of usage is required of the student’s new name. A name change may be processed either in person, at the Office of the University Registrar, 2nd Floor Schmitz Hall, or via email to Name change requests will be accepted for students who are currently enrolled and for previous students whose records are maintained in the student database. If there is a request for a name change on a student’s academic record whose record is on microfilm, approval needs to be given by one of the registrars. A certified copy of a court order or a marriage certificate or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full is the primary document required.
  2. If these documents are not available, then the student must demonstrate usage. The student must provide proof that they are the person whose name is being changed. This typically requires photo ID. Once verified, the student must submit a minimum of two of the documents listed below. At least one of the documents must have date of birth, a photograph, and a signature:
    • Former ID
    • Valid driver’s license
    • Valid ID
    • Valid military ID
    • Student ID
    • Valid passport
    • Original copy of citizenship form that contains signature & photograph
    • Foreign country’s passport
    • A federally recognized Indian tribe’s enrollment card or a US Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card containing the signature and photograph of the individual.
    • Employee identification cards
    • Business License
    • Birth Certificate
    • Social Security Card
    • Utility, telephone, medical bills that show name used
  3. Students may change their middle name(s) to an initial or vice versa without documentation. Documentation is required if a student is adding or deleting a middle name.
  4. Requests to change the gender listed on the student record can be made either in person at the Office of the University Registrar or by emailing No documentation required.
  5. Please note: While the main Student Data Base is updated immediately, not all systems that rely on the Student Data Base update student record changes immediately. Some update nightly, some update weekly, some update only once per quarter.
  6. Once a name change has been recorded, students who have a degree from the University may wish to order a new diploma by submitting a Diploma Replacement Request.