Office of the University Registrar


[UPDATE]: From August 18 through September 2, 2016, the Residence Classification Office hours will be Monday – Friday, 10 am to 12 pm, and 1 pm to 4 pm, to facilitate application processing and review during this peak time. Staff will not be available to answer phones, emails, or accept walk-ins outside of these times. Please help us process residency applications in a timely manner by reviewing the residency website for information on residency requirements. If you have questions, please email or contact us during office hours.

Understanding Washington State Residency


To be considered residents for tuition purposes, a student must be a U.S Citizen, U.S Permanent Resident card holder (for at least one year), Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA), or have a qualifying visa.

To be classified/reclassified as residents, for tuition and fee purposes, students must establish bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for purposes other than education for the period of one year immediately prior to classification as residents.

Non-resident students who are enrolled for more than 6 credits per quarter, shortly after arriving in Washington State, are presumed to be in Washington for primarily educational purposes. These students are not eligible for the in-state tuition rate until proven that they have established bona fide domicile and can provide all supporting domicile documentation, demonstrating establishment of at least one year prior to the quarter of application.

*For more specific information on bona fide domicile, please reference the Residency FAQs.

Residency Guideline Sources

Residency policies are set by the Washington legislature and applied uniformly throughout Washington’s colleges and universities. For more details regarding residence classification, please reference the following links to read the relevant Revised Code of Washington and Washington Administrative Code.