Office of the University Registrar

Financially Dependent Students

Students who are financially dependent upon parents, legal guardians, or others (excepting spouses) must provide documentation to prove their parents/legal guardians have established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington. Documentation of financial dependence is also required. To be considered, students and parents/legal guardians must have a qualifying status to apply.

The student and parent(s)/legal guardian(s) will need to complete the Residence Questionnaire. Student’s information will be completed on page one. Parent(s)’/legal guardian(s)’ information will be completed on page two (Section 3). Both student and parent(s)/legal guardian(s) must sign and date the Statement of Intent (page two).

  • In cases of legal guardianship, documentation is required to verify the guardianship is court-appointed.
  • Dependents of parents/legal guardians who are either divorced or legally separated may be classified as residents as long as the dependent student is claimed by one of the parents/legal guardians and at least one parent/legal guardian has established bona fide domicile in Washington State. This process requires documentation of residency from the Washington resident parent(s)/legal guardian(s), and taxes from the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) who claim the student.

Note: Married students are considered as financially independent applicants, not financially dependent.

DISCLAIMER: The information on this website is current as of 03/05/2018.  The University of Washington reserves the right to update or remove this page as necessary for clarity and/or to reflect changes to residency law or university policies.  This website is intended as guidance only and students are advised to refer to the Washington state laws on residency for current statutes and additional information.  See RCW Chapter 28B.15WAC Chapter 250-18, and WAC Chapter 478-160.

The UW Residency Classification Office will administer residency determinations in accordance with the current law at the time of application.