To apply for a change in residence classification:
- UW Seattle students: Complete and print the Residence Questionnaire and UW Seattle documentation checklist PDF form appropriate for your situation (financially independent student or financially dependent student) and provide all requested supporting documentation verifying you have met the residency requirements. Submit the completed questionnaire and documentation checklist to the Seattle campus along with the necessary supporting documentation.
- UW Bothell students: All applications and supporting documentation must be sent directly to the Bothell campus. Complete and print the Residence Questionnaire PDF form and provide supporting documentation verifying you have met the residency requirements.
- UW Tacoma students: All applications and supporting documentation must be sent directly to the Tacoma campus. Complete and print the Residence Questionnaire PDF form and provide supporting documentation verifying you have met the residency requirements.
Application deadlines: All residency and tuition reduction forms are due by the thirtieth (30th) day after the quarter of application begins.
For Winter, Spring, and Summer quarters, the UW Residency Classification Office will accept residency questionnaires and documentation no earlier than 30 calendar days before the start of the quarter. For Autumn quarter, the office will accept residency questionnaires and documentation no earlier than 60 calendar days before the start of the quarter.
- If your application is submitted without all required documentation, or if our office must request additional documentation due to unclear or ambiguous situation, it must be received in our office no later than the last day of the applied-for quarter. If documentation is received after the last day of the quarter applied, we will transfer the application to the next quarter for review.
*There is no retroactive backdating for residency to previous quarters if approved.
The Residency Questionnaire, Documentation Checklist, and hard (physical) copies of all required supporting documentation must be returned to our office by postal mail or put in the drop box located on the second floor lobby of Schmitz Hall. Residency applications and additional documentation are not accepted by email or fax.
Students will receive an email receipt confirmation once the residency application has been received in our office.
The residency review for a quarter begins approximately four weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Residency applications are reviewed in the order received and may take four to six weeks to process.
Contacting our office to inquire about your application status decreases the time available to our limited staff for processing paperwork. Please help our staff process files in a timely manner by waiting six weeks before inquiring about your application status.
Disclaimer: All applications and contents submitted to our office become the property of the University of Washington and will not be returned to students. The University keeps all documentation in a highly secured facility for 6 years (for record retention and auditing purposes) and destroys the files after that time period. It is suggested that applicants submit copies of the original documents in case they are needed for personal record-keeping.
*Our office does not have printers/copy machines accessible for public use.
Other Application Forms
- Active Duty Military/Spouse/Child (Stationed in WA): Tuition Reduction for Active Military Personnel Stationed in WA PDF
- Veterans & Eligible Spouse/Child: Tuition Reduction for Veterans & Eligible Spouse/Child PDF
- Eligible Spouse/Child of Uniformed Service Members: Tuition Reduction for Eligible Spouse/Child of Uniformed Service Members PDF
- WA National Guard: Tuition Reduction for Washington National Guard PDF
- HB 1079 Students: Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit PDF
- American Indian Students: Resident Tuition for American Indian Students PDF
- Refugee/Asylee Students: Tuition Reduction for Non-Resident Refugees/Asylees PDF
DISCLAIMER: The information on this website is current as of 03/05/2018. The University of Washington reserves the right to update or remove this page as necessary for clarity and/or to reflect changes to residency law or university policies. This website is intended as guidance only and students are advised to refer to the Washington state laws on residency for current statutes and additional information. See RCW Chapter 28B.15, WAC Chapter 250-18, and WAC Chapter 478-160.
The UW Residency Classification Office will administer residency determinations in accordance with the current law at the time of application.