To apply for a change in residence classification:
- UW Seattle students: Complete and print the Residence Questionnaire and UW Seattle documentation checklist PDF form appropriate for your situation (financially independent student or financially dependent student) and provide all requested supporting documentation verifying you have met the residency requirements. Submit the completed questionnaire and documentation checklist to the Seattle campus along with the necessary supporting documentation.
- UW Bothell students: All applications and supporting documentation must be sent directly to the Bothell campus. Complete and print the Residence Questionnaire PDF form and provide supporting documentation verifying you have met the residency requirements.
- UW Tacoma students: All applications and supporting documentation must be sent directly to the Tacoma campus. Complete and print the Residence Questionnaire PDF form and provide supporting documentation verifying you have met the residency requirements.
Application deadline: All residency and tuition reduction forms are due by the thirtieth (30th) day after the quarter of application begins.
- Additional documentation requested is due by the last day of the applied quarter. Any documentation received after the last day of the quarter applied or if a residency status is not determined by the last day of the applied quarter will transfer the application to the next quarter for review.
*There is no retroactive backdating for residency to previous quarters if approved.
Original copy of the residency application form and hard (physical) copies of supporting documentation must be returned to our office by postal mail or bring it to the drop box located on the second floor lobby of Schmitz Hall. Residency applications and additional documentation are not accepted by email or fax.
Students will receive an email receipt confirmation once the residency application has been received in our office.
The residency review for a quarter begins approximately four weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Residency applications are reviewed in the order received and may take four to six weeks to process.
Contacting our office to inquire about your application status decreases the time available to our limited staff for processing paperwork. Please help our staff process files in a timely manner by waiting six weeks before inquiring about your application status.
Disclaimer: All applications and contents submitted to our office become the property of the University of Washington and will not be returned to students. The University keeps all documentation in a highly secured facility for 6 years (for record retention and auditing purposes) and destroys the files after that time period. It is suggested that applicants submit copies of the original documents in case they are needed for personal record-keeping.
*Our office does not have printers/copy machines accessible for public use.
Other Application Forms
- Active Duty Military/Spouse/Child (Stationed in WA): Tuition Reduction for Active Military Personnel Stationed in WA PDF
- Veterans & Eligible Spouse/Child: Tuition Reduction for Veterans & Eligible Spouse/Child PDF
- Eligible Spouse/Child of Uniformed Service Members: Tuition Reduction for Eligible Spouse/Child of Uniformed Service Members PDF
- WA National Guard: Tuition Reduction for Washington National Guard PDF
- HB 1079 Students: Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit PDF
- American Indian Students: Resident Tuition for American Indian Students PDF
- Refugee/Asylee Students: Tuition Reduction for Non-Resident Refugees/Asylees PDF
All forms in this section are PDF documents that can be opened with Adobe Acrobat. If you need a copy of the software, you can download a free copy of Acrobat Reader from the Adobe website.