Office of the University Registrar

Graduate and Professional Students

Graduate and Professional Student Waiver [UPDATE]:

At the direction of the UW Regents, the waiver program was discontinued effective July 1, 2012. Graduate and Professional students who were admitted to the University and began enrollment Autumn Quarter 2012 and after, cannot obtain in-state tuition through this waiver program.

Graduate and Professional students admitted and enrolled prior to July 1, 2012 who are currently receiving the waiver may continue to apply for it as long as they maintain continuous enrollment status and submit a Residence Questionnaire every year until graduation from the program.

Graduate/Professional Students Establishing Domicile

Graduate and Professional students are required to establish bona fide domicile in Washington, like undergraduate students.


To establish bona fide domicile independently, students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Physically reside in the state for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of the quarter students are seeking residency.
    A legal resident must relinquish all valid legal ties with their former state/country of residence and establish such ties in Washington in accordance with state and local legislation.
  2. Establish Washington State legal ties:
    • Driver’s License/State ID: One must obtain a Washington State Driver’s License within 30 days of arrival if they have a valid out-of-state driver’s license, including international driver’s license. If an individual does not drive or possess a driver’s license from any state or country, they must obtain a Washington State Identification Card within 30 days of arrival.
    • Vehicle Registration: Individuals who own or operates a vehicle in Washington must have their vehicle registered in Washington within 30 days of arrival.
    • Voter Registration: Individuals who have previously registered to vote in their former state of residence must register to vote in Washington.
      Permanent Resident Card holders or any other status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) are exempt from registering to vote.
    • Establish a bank account in Washington. Existing bank accounts prior to arriving in Washington is sufficient as long as one’s name and Washington address is associated with the account and documented.
    • Lease/home agreement
  3. Students must demonstrate they are financially independent for the current calendar year for which they are applying for residency and the previous calendar. This means they are paying for the majority of their expenses (cost of attendance and living) with their own income. Students who are 25 years of age or younger must provide their parents’ most recent tax returns.
  4. Students who are enrolled for 7 credits or more each term, during the period they are establishing bona fide legal domicile, are presumed by law to be in Washington State for purposes of education. Students cannot get resident tuition unless they can demonstrate conclusively they moved to Washington for purposes other than education.
    One strong method of overcoming this presumption is through significant employment of 30 hours per week at a non-student position. Other methods can be a combination of significant employment and other ties such as community involvement (i.e. volunteering, etc.), participation in state/local organizations, family, etc. The burden of proof lies on the student to demonstrate they have overcome this presumption.

    *Graduate assistantships appointed by the University of Washington such as Teaching Assistant (TA), Research Assistant (RA), and Graduate Appointee (GA) may fulfill this employment requirement.

Students must complete and sign the Residence Questionnaire form (both pages). This process requires all documentation of students’ establishment of the domicile and financial independence.

*Students who are establishing residency for tuition purposes as a dependent student, please reference Financially Dependent Students.

Residency Requirements for Externships and Internships

The following parameters are for Graduate and Professional students who plan to apply for residency for tuition purposes and leave the state for an internship or other educational opportunities prior to residing in Washington for 12 months.


To be considered, students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Prove that student’s absence is due to an internship, externship, study abroad, or temporary employment relating to their educational study.
  2. Provide official verification from the department, school, or company/firm where the internship or externship is taking place.
  3. Registered for courses for the Autumn Quarter prior to leaving for the summer internship or externship.
  4. Provide verification of continued domicile in Washington such as signing a lease prior to leaving, storage of personal items, etc.
  5. Established and maintained all Washington legal ties and financial independence. Please reference Residency Requirements.


For more information, please reference the Residency FAQs.