Office of the University Registrar

Tuition Reduction for Non-Resident Refugees and Asylees

Students are eligible to pay reduced tuition and fees if they are classified as a refugee/asylee by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Spouse and dependent children are also eligible for this reduction.

The reduction does not grant bona fide Washington residency; however, it reduces the amount of the non-resident portion of tuition. The waiver is restricted to individuals who:

  • Reside in Washington State, and
  • Attend the four (4) consecutive quarter from their date of arrival in Washington State.

For additional information, please reference the Washington Administrative Code, section 478-160-163.

To apply, students must provide the following documentation:

  1. Complete and print the Tuition Reduction for Non-Resident Refugees and Asylees Application Form. Original copy of the form must be returned to our office. Emails and faxes are not accepted.
  2. A copy of the I-94 form, Departure Record, and documentation that attests to the date of arrival in Washington State.

If an individual is requesting the exemption on behalf of their spouse/dependent child, one must provide the following documentation, in addition to the guidelines listed above:

  1. Verification of dependent status. See form for details.

Return the form to:

For Seattle/Bothell students: UW Residence Classification Office, 226 Schmitz Hall, Box 355850, Seattle, WA 98195-5850

For Tacoma students: UW Tacoma Registrar’s Office, Mattress Factory 253, Box 358400, Tacoma, WA 98402


DISCLAIMER: The information on this website is current as of 03/05/2018.  The University of Washington reserves the right to update or remove this page as necessary for clarity and/or to reflect changes to residency law or university policies.  This website is intended as guidance only and students are advised to refer to the Washington state laws on residency for current statutes and additional information.  See RCW Chapter 28B.15WAC Chapter 250-18, and WAC Chapter 478-160.

The UW Residency Classification Office will administer residency determinations in accordance with the current law at the time of application.