Tuition Reduction for Non-Resident Refugees and Asylees
Students are eligible to pay reduced tuition and fees if they are classified as a refugee/asylee by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Spouse and dependent children are also eligible for this reduction.
The reduction does not grant bona fide Washington residency; however, it reduces the amount of the non-resident portion of tuition. The waiver is restricted to individuals who:
- Resides in Washington State
- Attends the four (4) consecutive quarter from their date of arrival in Washington State.
For additional information, please reference the Washington Administrative Code, section 478-160-163.
To apply, students must provide the following documentation:
- Complete and print the Tuition Reduction for Non-Resident Refugees and Asylees Application Form. Original copy of the form must be returned to our office. Emails and faxes are not accepted.
- A copy of the I-94 form, Departure Record, and documentation that attests to the date of arrival in Washington State.
If an individual is requesting the exemption on behalf of their spouse/dependent child, one must provide the following documentation, in addition to the guidelines listed above:
- Verification of dependent status. See form for details.
Return the form to:
For Seattle/Bothell students: UW Residence Classification Office, 226 Schmitz Hall, Box 355850, Seattle, WA 98195-5850
For Tacoma students: UW Tacoma Registrar’s Office, Mattress Factory 253, Box 358400, Tacoma, WA 98402
For more information, please reference the Residency FAQs.