Office of the University Registrar

Returning Student Checklist

Undergraduate and professional school students who intend to return to the University of Washington after an absence of more than one quarter should review and complete the following steps to facilitate a smooth return. Graduate students should check with their academic program advisers for specific returning student process directions.

UW Seattle: The checklist information presented on this page applies to the Returning Student Process for matriculated students at the Seattle campus only.

UW Bothell: Students previously enrolled at the UW Bothell campus and looking to return to UW Bothell, please visit Returning Students – Bothell

UW Tacoma: Students previously enrolled at the UW Tacoma campus and looking to return to UW Tacoma, please visit Returning Students – Tacoma

Checklist Items

Returning Student Eligibility

Log into MyUW to check eligibility to enroll or whether to complete the Returning Student Process. Students who have been absent more than one quarter (excluding Summer quarter) need to complete the Returning Student Process.
Log into MyUW

Academic Advising

  1. Consult with your academic adviser and discuss your plans to return.
  2. Review the Returning Student instructions and submit the online Returning Student Form.

Returning Student Instructions

Academic Major

Students previously enrolled in an academic program with restricted enrollment and/or special admission requirements should consult their adviser about procedures for readmission in the same program.
Undergraduate Academic Advising
Departmental & Major Advising Offices

Financial Aid

Students who need or have received financial aid previously should consult with the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Office of Student Financial Aid

Fiscal Services

Students who have a financial hold on their account or need assistance in navigating an outstanding debt should contact Student Fiscal Services.
Student Fiscal Services


Be advised that students returning to the University may not necessarily be readmitted under their previous residency classification. It is highly suggested that students check their tuition statement to ensure the tuition rate and fees are charged correctly. Students should be prepared to complete any necessary application and documents required to correct their classification with the Residency Office.
Residency Office


Returning athletes should contact the academic advisor of their sport to confirm eligibility or, if no longer eligible, to learn about the FinishLine Degree Completion program available to former University of Washington student-athletes.
Student-Athlete Academic Services Staff
FinishLine Degree Completion Program

International Students

International students returning to the UW who require an I-20 (F visa) or DS-2019 (J visa) should contact International Student Services to request new immigration documents once your returning student request has been approved.
ISS Returning Students

Veteran Students

Veteran students who have questions about or previously received veterans benefits should contact the Veterans Education Benefits Office to ensure continued support.
Veterans Education Benefits Office

Campus Housing

Students interested in living in University of Washington housing may find information about applying via must contact Housing & Food Services’ Application Guides to make housing arrangements.
HFS: Guides and Handbooks

Disability Resources

Students requiring assistance from Disability Resources need to contact Disability Resources for Students to determine next steps.
Disability Resources for Students


Students can find community in many ways:

  • Affiliation Groups: The UW Career Center has gathered useful resources for various affiliation groups – First generation students, students of color, LGBTQ+ students, and more.
  • Interest: Meet students with similar interests by getting involved with one of over 900 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs). Every autumn Dawg Daze hosts the Student Activities Fair that features a great number of RSOs.
  • Student Government: The Associated Students of the University of Washington (ASUW) offers a variety of ways to get involved in their campus programming, services, and advocacy.

Additional Support

We understand that your transition back to the UW can be complicated. Please know that we fully support you, whatever your situation may be. Some additional services you might want to consider: