Office of the University Registrar

Graduation and Diplomas

Congratulations on nearing your UW graduation! Please review the following important information about applying to graduate and your diploma, plus other information that will be helpful for you.

Application for Graduation

Undergraduate Students

If you are an undergraduate student, you will need to complete an application for graduation with your departmental adviser. Degrees are not automatically awarded when requirements have been satisfied. It is your responsibility to apply for degrees and certificates.

When to apply

Applications must be submitted no later than the third Friday of the quarter you plan to graduate. You can also submit them up to 3 quarters before you plan to graduate. Once you apply, you are eligible for Graduating Senior Priority registration.

If you are graduating in Summer quarter but want to participate in the Spring commencement before graduating will need to apply by the third Friday of that Spring quarter.

Please go to the Academic Calendar for all of the graduation application and Graduating Senior Priority registration deadlines. You will want to meet with your adviser to complete your application before the deadline days so it can be submitted on time.

How to apply

You will need to meet with your departmental adviser to complete your graduation application. They will go online and create an application for you, and then you will get an email asking you to click on a link and verify the application information. Your application is not considered submitted until you verify the information, so it is important that you look for the email and follow the instructions.

If you have more than one option, major, or degree, will need to submit a graduation application for each one.

If you are submitting multiple applications, you will be asked to verify each one, so be sure to look for the emails.

Once you’ve applied

We encourage you to stay in touch with your departmental adviser(s) to make sure you are completing all degree requirements as planned. Using the Degree Audit tools in MyPlan will also help you stay on track.

You should also check your UW email regularly (including any spam folders) for important communications from the Office of the University Registrar about your graduation application or graduation status.

Graduate Students

If you are a graduate student, you will want to review the Graduate School’s graduation dates and deadlines or contact Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS) at or 206-685-2630 for additional information.


Diploma Mailing

Diplomas are mailed two to three months following graduation. Once you have graduated, you can go into MyUW and select whether you want your diploma mailed to your local address or your permanent address, and also update that information. To change your mailing address, log in to MyUW and go to “Profile” then “Student Profile” and select the “Change Address” link. You may update your address, or select to have your diploma mailed to your local address rather than your permanent address. If you do not make a selection, we will mail your diploma to your permanent address per your UW record. The Office of the University Registrar will send you an email about one month after graduation to remind you to update your mailing address and to check your diploma name.

Diploma Name

Your diploma will be issued with your UW record name (the name on your unofficial transcript in MyUW). You can request some changes to your diploma name, but the first and last name on your diploma must match the first and last name of your UW record name. To request changes to your diploma name such as hyphens, spaces, lower/upper case letters, accents, or other special characters, you should complete the Diploma Name Request Form [UoW1993] after you have submitted your graduation application. You should email this form to by the last day of the quarter you are graduating.

If your UW record name needs to be updated, you should go to the Name Change Policy webpage and follow the instructions there.

You should make sure your UW record name is updated by the last day of the quarter you graduate, or before requesting any replacement diplomas. Email with questions about UW record name changes.

General Diploma Information

UW diplomas list your name, the degree you earned, and any applicable honors. Majors, minors, and options are not listed on UW diplomas unless they are part of the honors designation.

All UW diplomas are 8.5 by 11 inches, except for Juris Doctor diplomas and the Master of Laws in Taxation diploma, which are 11 by 14 inches.

The UW also offers students a Certified Electronic Diploma (CeDiploma). This is a true replication of your paper diploma that can be authenticated by the recipient. CeDiplomas are available once your paper diploma has been issued, and cost $10.95. Go to the UW CeDiploma webpage for more information.

Replacement Diplomas

You can order a replacement diploma by using our online ordering system. You will need to pay for the order charge and applicable shipping and handling fees with a credit card.

Purchase Replacement Diploma

  1. Log into the Replacement Diploma Request Portal
  2. Follow the instructions to purchase
  3. There is a $20.00 charge plus any applicable shipping and handling fees

Other Useful Information

Degree Certification

Certification for UW Graduates

Graduates of the University of Washington cannot receive a Degree Certificate through the National Student Clearinghouse.

Options for Degree Certification include:

  • An Official Transcript can be requested for degree verification purposes.
  • Email the UW Office of the University Registrar office at to receive one. Please be sure to include your name, student ID #, date of birth and a mailing or email address where you wish the Degree Certification be sent.

Faculty and Staff Looking to Verify a UW Degree

  • Students can provide copies of their official or unofficial transcript
  • Student Database (SDB)
  • Electronic Advising Record System (EARS)
  • Email the Office of the University Registrar at from email requesting a students Degree Certification. Staff and faculty must provide the student’s full name and student number in the request.

Non-UW Third Parties

Third parties requiring proof of a Degree Certification can request the UW student provide a copy of their official transcript.

The University of Washington does not verify degrees or enrollment for third parties via email or fax or mail. Third parties may request and pay for verification from the National Student Clearinghouse.

UW Commencement

The Office of Ceremonies is responsible for UW Commencement. Commencement information including event schedule, ticket information, parking, and apparel can be found on the Commencement website. Questions can be directed to their office by email at or phone at 206-543-2592.

UW Data Accounts

After graduation, you will eventually lose access to your UW accounts. These accounts will be deleted and you will permanently lose any files and emails associated with them. Go to the UW-IT Data Retention Guide for Graduating Students to ensure that your UW data will be preserved and your UW email is properly forwarded.

UW Career and Internship Center

To prepare yourself for post-graduation success review the After Graduation webpage.

Undergraduate Graduation Checklist

Refer to the UW Undergraduate Checklist for Graduation.